Sunday, March 31, 2013

Youth Hitting Coaches: Worth Your Money?

Hey Guys,

It's tough to write during this time of year, as all of you know.  Hopefully all of your weather is cooperating well and the season is progressing nicely.  I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm pumped for opening day of Major League Baseball.  Anyway, I'm going to start posting once a week to give everybody a chance to ponder what we are talking about.  This post comes from something I saw this past week.  I was in an indoor facility and saw a six year old kid working with a professional hitting coach.  Many of the older players were talking about what an awful coach he was because he wasn't saying much.  Every now and then he'd give the kid a small tip and then let him go.  Is this bad coaching?  Are youth hitting coaches worth it?

This hitting coach was the coach of none other than major league star, Todd Helton.  I'm going to say that he knows what he's doing.  So why isn't he constantly bantering the youngster?  It's very simple and we see it all the time.  Parents, SHUT UP!  When your kid is six years old, it is not your goal to make him mechanically perfect.  Your goal is to teach the kid the basics, correct any major flaws, and teach him to love the game.

In that particular hitting lesson, the coach was simply working with the kids hand-eye coordination and letting him get a feel for hitting the baseball squarely.  To answer the question of whether a hitting coach is worth it at that age, my advice is yes.  It may not do much of anything in his younger years, but developing a relationship with a coach over the years will allow him to become a better hitter in the long run because nothing will be left unsaid.  The bottom line is at that age let the kids swing the bat.  Of course we need to correct any major flaws, but most importantly developing hand-eye and bat speed.  In my next post, I am going to talk about an approach at the plate that is frequently talked about.

Until Next Time!

Tip of the Day: When you're practicing with your kids or by yourself, do things to challenge yourself further than the game of baseball will.  For example, take a batting practice with plastic golf balls and a stick, and watch your batting average sky rocket.  Also do things that make it fun.  Invent games, go with a classic game of wiffle ball, etc...

P.S. I am trying to put together a hitting program that will solve all parts of hitting.  I'd like to get some commentary on what you think hitters would like that to entail!

No comments:

Post a Comment